Saturday, July 15, 2006

Bastille Day in America

Shawn surprised me at my office yesterday afternoon, popping in unannounced at the end of the day. We decided to celebrate the anniversary of the French Revolution with a bottle of Sancerre and dinner at my favorite bistro Français, the Restaurante Montmartre in Eastern Market.

Though his hanger steak (bifteck onglet) was excellent, it was my perfectly prepared red snapper (poisson rouge?) that put Shawn in the mood to go fishing -- so much for storming the prison gates and beheading the Queen!

We settled in at the end of the dock, me with a magazine and him with his fishing gear, for the rest of the evening. When Shawn started reeling 'em in, James and Lillian came out to see what all the fuss was about. Neither cat is very curious about live fish; I guess they'd much rather get their food from a can.

Shawn had a good night-- he hauled in one perch that was picture-worthy, but it flopped off the dock before I could get a shot of it (it was a BIG one, honest!!). Instead, I'm sharing shots of his first eel and his ten-thousandth catfish.

Le roi est mort -- vive la France!!

Dianne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read it but I'm on a blog-training day, so I'm leaving a note.