Thursday, June 15, 2006

Crab Feast, Before and After

We love our blue crabs in Maryland. They're not easy to eat, but worth the effort.

The first time I sat down to a crab feast was back in 1990, at Camp Tomahawk on Chase Creek off the Severn River in Arnold. My friends Greg Keller and William Ozkaptan were very patient as they taught me how to pick apart a steaming hot crustacean. They kept four traps dangling off their dock, baited with chicken necks and waiting for crabs to come crawling in. Every time they caught enough to feed a crowd, they'd start calling around. I loved to pick up the phone and hear: "Crab feast at the Camp!"

Over the years, my crab picking technique has improved greatly, to the point where I've become the teacher. Last night, we took Creig & Tonya, Michael, Tara, & Leah for their first crab feast at Cantler's Waterfront restaurant.

Needless to say, everyone enjoyed getting a little bit messy at dinner!

Dianne

No comments: