Friday, December 31, 2010

New York City!

Lorenda talked me into coming to New York City for New Year's to run the Emerald Nuts Midnight run in Central Park with her. I'm sick, tired after a week of company, old, and out of shape. But I'm here!

The weather - after a big snowstorm last week - is cooperating. Predicted temperature at midnight: 42 with calm winds. I think I can do this!!

Sarah tagged along with her mom - her first trip to the Big Apple. We're staying up at Columbia Medical School's executive residences (thanks Ross!). Last night, we took the train to the Upper West Side to join UT alumni in New York City to watch the Vols' last second loss in its bowl game.

After the game, we rode down to South Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty, then wandered uptown to look at the construction at Ground Zero. We hopped off the train at Times Square to look at the ball, 24 hours before it's scheduled to drop. At Sarah's request, we got her some genuine New York City street food.

Shawn tagged along with me. I couldn't convince him to run, but he couldn't pass up the chance to get oysters and champagne in Grand Central Station in the middle of the afternoon on New Year's Eve.

1 comment:

Lorenda said...

THANKSSSSSSS so much for doing it!! I was too scared to try to navigate NYC alone!
And... Yeah, THANKS, Ross, from me too!!! The ammomodations were great, where else can you sleep in a room that's 95 degrees!! It was perfect for me! We had a great time! It was over too soon.